This is a a design I did for a community project on a site a frequent often. The only limit is it had to be pizza based. I went a little overboard and created a pizza invasion. It was fun to go away from my normal illustration subject matter, and was a great experience doing a finished piece in only a couple nights.
The Ghost Lincoln character is one that I have developed for a couple of years. I decided that a Bubs munny would be a perfect shape to create a custom of the same character. This project was important in developing my painting style.
A poster design I have been working on of the Flying Dutchman. The idea that there are rumors of a ghost of an entire ship is very interesting to me, I wanted to create a ghost like feel but at the same time exploring the style that I have been creating.
For this munny project I wanted to rely entirely on paint instead of sculpting. Doing a large munny with only paint was a challenge for me because usually I have sculpting to base the painting on where here I had to create the space using just paint. I am pretty happy with this as a painting exploration as well as the final outcome.
This was my first full size munny and I decided to go with a heavy sculpted approach. There are a ton of great pumpkin head munnys that I have seen online and I really wanted to bring a new style to the subject matter.
A site I visit often and sometimes post on had a drawing a day project during the month of October and I decided I would give it a shot. I didn’t quite make everyday as it gets pretty rough with my day job. What it did allow me to do is to work on my process and doing a finished illustration every night really tested my abilities and process. It was good to get involved and it also gave me a new motivation to work on and finish Grim toys.
After seeing my Lincoln bust it was suggested that I make a chess set using the same style as the bust. At the start this project seemed like a huge undertaking, but the more I thought about it the more I loved the idea of creating a project of this size and developing the style I created over such a large platform.
I started with sketching each figure giving a great deal of thought about what to use as bishops and queens. After a good deal of thinking I decided to use Grant and Lee for queens. I thought about using prominent woman of the war, but unfortunately there aren’t really too many women that were prominent in the Civil War that also have clear sides. Also I knew I wanted to use both presidents and generals. It was around this time when I decided that all the non-king and queen pieces should be the same only different colors. I have played chess before with a set that every piece was different and I found it confusing.
After the sketches were approved I started sculpting each piece. I use a mixture of super sculpty and suculpty firm that holds the details but isn’t hard to sculpt. I have a couple of clay tools I picked up over the years nothing fancy just simple stuff. I already had the bases that I bought so I knew around how big each piece would be before starting. I started with Grant and Lee and after finishing those sculpts decided that I didn’t want the pieces that big and re sculpted them smaller.
After having the first couple done, I moved though the others fairly quickly getting all the sculpting finished before casting. I wanted to make sure all the pieces fit together as far as look so that they all look like they are from the same set.
When I started the casting I didn’t realize how long it would take. I started with the pawn mold and ended up going through three different molds by the end of production. Every morning I wake up and fill molds, and it’s the first thing I do when I get home at night. I can’t wait to get paint on all these and am excited to see them turn in to a set.
With this munny I wanted to use a straight forward approach. Starting with a few sculpty touches I then used pen and paint to complete the figure. I sculpted a cauldron complete with ghosts to go with it. I then entered it in a competition on www.customtoyunion.com, if you have never been to the site its a small community of talented toy customizers, so talented in fact that my custom didn’t make it out of the first round. I am still proud of the result, and it is now for sale in my store.